Friday 21 June 2013

Derek Deane's in-the-round production of Swan Lake



Swan Lake in the round at Royal Albert Hall, London


I arrived at The Royal Albert Hall for the evening performance of English National Ballet/Derek Deane's Swan Lake in the roundSwan Lake is my all time favourite ballet and my wish has always been to see this specific production.

I absolutely loved the staging of this ballet with the additional numbers of artists, 120 in total, performing in this production including 60 Swans during the Act II and Act IV scenes.  The choreography was first class and the artists' talents were demonstrated in the ballet.  Royal Albert Hall's Arena was transformed as a lake for the the Swans and artists entered the arena from various points in the auditorium.

Tamara Rojo, an international soloist and English National Ballet's artistic director, and Matthew Golding, a principal dancer from Dutch National Ballet, shared the leading roles of Odette/Odile and Prince SiegfriedJames Streeter joined them and performing as the dark and wicked Rothbart

I sat in the Circle and it got very warm and this combined with fatigue made my viewing a struggle especially in the final act.  However I appreciate the dancers need to dance in warm conditions to minimise injury.  I think for a future visit to a ballet at this venue I'll pay more to sit in the stalls.  It was good to see Sabine and Leni briefly after the show before catching the bus back to my hotel.  

Other than feeling very warm and uncomfortable with my skin problems during the final act I was glad to have seen such a fantastic production! Even if I welcomed the bed in my hotel that evening!

If you want to find out more information about the English National Ballet including any forthcoming productions, please click on their website.

I look forward to returning to the Royal Albert Hall in the not too distant future including the Proms which my Dad and I have booked for and next year for Romeo and Juliet in the round.

The following day I had a a fun day catching up with my friend, Vicky, and at end of the day I toasted a successful visit at the nostalgic Great Northern Hotel's Bar, adjacent to Kings Cross Station, before catching my train home.  Look forward to more London adventures very soon!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment